Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Ups and Downs of Life after Graduation. Oh...and growing up in a small southern town

Well...it's been about 4 months since I graduated from college, and I must say that life is definitely different. As school was wrapping up and all of my friends and peers were getting job offers or looking for apartments in new cities where they would relocate...all I could think about was moving to LA at the end of the summer!
Yes I was doing the unthinkable (especially since I graduated from a prestigious university with tons of services focused solely on helping students get jobs). But I decided that I wanted to work in the entertainment industry and that meant taking a giant leap of faith: moving from small town, southern Virginia to the big city of Los Angeles - without a job.

I've been in LA a month now, but let me take you back to the beginning...

I'm a small town, Southern girl...I grew up with cows in my backyard in a town where NASCAR races and high school football games are major events. Everybody knows everybody and everything that's going on. I went to the same high school where my parents met and were high school sweethearts. So you can imagine that gossip from break-ups to "who's dating who" rule this town. I loved every second of growing up in this place...

You can guess that my move to California was big news to the people in my town. Why would you want to move to California? Don't you know there are earthquakes out there? But you don't have a job...how are you going to manage? Shew...talk about a lot of questions!

So, I made sure to have a great "last summer" hanging out with friends, riding the Seadoo on the lake, and taking the annual family trip to Charleston, SC. But the fact that I didn't have a job like most of my peers loomed over my head. Thankfully, I managed to convince my sorority sister and college roommate to make the big move to California with me.

All summer, we searched and searched for apartments in a city we didn't know much about. And luckily, we have supportive parents! So we made a trip out to California to find the perfect apartment. Oh the stress of that weekend...driving from place to place, viewing what felt like one hundred apartments and persuading our moms that this move is really a great thing!

We had a successful trip and found a beautiful and safe apartment with a glistening pool and a rooftop with amazing views! We were so excited!

After I got back home, like most other college graduates, I had to get everything in order...from shipping my car from VA to CA, packing up my life, and saying goodbye to the beautiful town I will always call home.

Changes in life are inevitable...and I am SO excited to be living in LA. I'll always be a small town southern girl with big dreams...and now I'm living in a city that can make those dreams come true!

I can't wait to share my journey and experiences with you and boy am I living a crazy life! Until next time...

Oh and remember...always have faith!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Whitney! I loved your first post. I am so impressed by your leap of faith! Even though Richmond isn't as small as where you are from, I have been here my whole life. I went to the same high school where my parents met also. I am so glad to hear that you are happy. You WILL make it! You have so much to offer. Thanks for sharing your journey! ZLAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney!! it's taiwo (haha creeper) anyhoo! im sure ull do great!

    ReplyDelete